We invite your participation as a presenter at the Association of Black Women in Higher Education (ABWHE) National Conference to be held virtually from October 20 – 22, 2021. You may submit abstracts for workshops and panels reflecting and examining the experiences and impact of African American women in the academy.
During the course of this past year we have experienced uncertainty, fear, fatigue, and loss. As a people in this country these experiences are not new for African American women. However, the global COVID-19 pandemic has intensified these experiences and helped to cast a spotlight on the systemic disparities that exist in this nation, which disproportionately impact negatively on the Black community. As we recover from this past year, let us reflect, discuss, and share how we will empower our communities, institutions, and each other.
Therefore, we are specifically seeking proposals that address this year’s theme,
Build B(l)ack: Rebirth, Re-educate, Reimagine.
Breakout sessions will be held on Thursday, October 21 and Friday, October 22, 2021. We are offering 60-minute morning sessions on Thursday and Friday. The proposed breakout session should clearly address the conference theme as mentioned above. Topics include but are not limited to:
- Career Development: Advancement, Career Change, Mentoring, Networking, Skill Enhancement, or Entrepreneurship
- Health and Wellness: Physical and Mental Health, Nutrition, Fitness, Work/Life Balance or COVID and Vaccination Education
- Leadership in the Academy: Commitment, Diversity, Equity, Governance, Inclusion, Strategic Planning, Support, or Vision
- Social Identity: Ability, Ethnicity, Gender Identity, Nationality, Race, Religion/Spirituality, Sexual Orientation, or Socioeconomic Status
- Student Development: Empowerment, Engagement, Health/Wellness, Navigation of the College Process, or Sense of Belonging
All abstracts and panel submissions will be peer-reviewed and evaluated for originality, quality, topic applicability, and relation to the ABWHE 2021 theme: Build B(l)ack: Rebirth, Re-educate, Reimagine. Students are encouraged to submit abstracts as well. To submit a proposal for a breakout session, please see instructions below:
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING ABSTRACTS
- Workshop abstracts of 250 words or less must be submitted online to REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS by 5:00pm on Friday, June 25, 2021.
- Workshops/Panel submissions should follow the format:
- Presentation Title
- Presentation Description (target audience, purpose, and goals)
- Presenter(s)Contact Information (name, email, mailing address, and phone number)
- Presenter(s) Brief Biography including current employment information (150 word maximum)
- For panel submissions, please include written consent from each panel member acknowledging their awareness and agreement to participate in the session.
- Presenters will be notified of the status of their proposal by July 23, 2021.
Note: Accepted facilitators should submit their final presentation (e.g., PowerPoint slides) no later than 5:00pm on Friday, September 17, 2021.
Contact Email for Questions & Inquiries: