In 2023, we will celebrate the Association of Black Women in Higher Education’s (ABWHE) 45th anniversary! According to researchers, 45 signifies change, transformation, determination, and optimism, so we welcome and embrace all efforts to propel ABWHE to greater eminence.
We're living in very challenging times with the COVID pandemic, civil unrest, divisive politics, an unstable economy, and a lack of social support services to help individuals cope with these competing dynamics. However, I'm encouraged that ABWHE offers a safe place where women can connect, serve their community, and provide resources to thrive academically, professionally, and personally. We Lift as We Climb.
The members of the ABWHE are dedicated to the task of fostering the historically significant role of Black women in higher education. We seek to provide a forum for action related to improving the quality of education for Blacks, and particularly Black youth; as well as reliable resources to support Black professionals navigate their careers.
As we embark upon our 45th anniversary, we’re focused on:
- Energizing the Sisterhood by co-creating a culture of collaboration, communication, and coordinated planning across our chapters.
- Investing in our Communities through outreach initiatives, grant writing, and mentorship opportunities for Black youth and professionals.
- Empowering Black Women and Youth by providing professional development workshops and personal enrichment webinars to thrive!
Beryl Jeffers, Dr. Kimberly Johnson, Dr. Karen Ruth-Jarmon, and Kuan Evans has joined me and our chapter leaders and national board members to fulfill these initiatives. Together, we’re committed to energizing our membership, investing in our communities, and empowering the sisterhood through enrichment opportunities. I believe that despite the challenging times we're living in, We can still Lift as We Climb!
So, I encourage you to sponsor an initiative, start an ABWHE chapter or join the organization today! We’re looking forward to partnering with you.
Dr. Kimberly Roan, National President
Please find below links to resources:
- Centers for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/guidance-ihe-response.html
- World Health Organization: who.int
- Inside Higher Ed: insiderhighered.com
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education COVID-19 related webinars: diverseeducation.com
- American Council on Education: https://www.acenet.edu/pages/covid-19-information.aspx
- Association of Black Psychologists (community resources and webinars): https://www.abpsi.org/
- Therapy for Black Girls Podcast: https://therapyforblackgirls.com/podcast/
Podcast also available on Apple and Android Podcast apps